Valentina Parigi obtained her PhD at LENS (European Laboratory for Non-Linear Spectroscopy) in Florence under the supervision of Marco Bellini. During her PhD she worked on generation, manipulation and characterization of non-classical states of light and she realized the first experimental test on quantum commutation rules. She then worked on non-linear effects at the single photon level by exploiting the long-range interactions in ensemble of Rydberg atoms, atomic quantum memories and near-field characterization of disordered nanostructures.
Since 2015 she is Associate Professor in the Quantum Optics group at LKB, working in the Multimode Quantum Optics team.
She is leading the activity on complex quantum networks in a multi-mode continuous-variables scenario, awarded (2018) with an – ERC Consolidator Grant.
Her interests range from the foundations of quantum mechanics to the experimental implementation of basic tools for quantum information technologies.
Memberships and responsibilities
- Member of the organizing committee of ICoQC 2018- International Conference on Quantum Computing, 26-30 November 2018 Paris (France).
- Organiser of Scientific Meeting of the Royal Society on “Foundations of quantum mechanics and their impact on contemporary society”, 11-12 December 2017, London.
- Member of QTech 2018 Scientific Committee, Quantum technology International conference (Paris)
- Member of scientific committee of CEWQO 2018 25th Central European Workshop on Quantum Optics
- Member of Paris Centre for Quantum Computing
Scientific Track Record and awards
- Médaille de bronze CNRS 2020
- Awarded 2018 – ERC Consolidator Grant. Project: COQCOoN: “Continuos Variables Quantum Complex Networks”
- Emergence CNRS -2016 on “Information quantique optique non-linéaire” – Spectrally broadened optical frequency comb by non-linear photonic crystal fiber for manipulating hundreds of q-modes in quantum information processes. Role in the project: main investigator.
- Emergence Sorbonne Université 2016 PiCQuNet: Photonic platform for Complex Quantum Networks. Role in the project: main investigator
V. Cimini, M. Barbieri, N. Treps, M. Walschaers, and V. Parigi, Neural Networks for Detecting Multimode Wigner Negativity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 160504 (2020)
D. Barral, M. Walschaers, K. Bencheikh, V. Parigi, J. A. Levenson, N. Treps, and N. Belabas, Versatile Photonic Entanglement Synthesizer in the Spatial Domain, Phys. Rev. Applied 14, 044025 (2020)
- F. Sansavini and V. Parigi, Continuous Variables Graph States Shaped as Complex Networks: Optimization and Manipulation, Entropy 22, 26 (2020)
- L. La Volpe, S. De, T. Kouadou, D. Horoshko, M. I. Kolobov, C. Fabre, V. Parigi, and N. Trep, Multimode single-pass spatio-temporal squeezing, Optics Express, Vol.28 pp 12385-12394 (2020)
- F. Arzani, A. Ferraro, V. Parigi, High-dimensional quantum encoding via photon-subtracted squeezed states, Phys. Rev. A 99, 022342 (2019)
- M. Walschaers, S. Sarkar, V. Parigi, and N. Treps, Tailoring Non-Gaussian Continuous-Variable Graph States, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 220501 (2018)
- J. Nokkala, F. Arzani, F. Galve, R. Zambrini, S. Maniscalco, J. Piilo, N. Treps, V. Parigi, Reconfigurable optical implementation of quantum complex networks, New J. Phys. 20, 053024 (2018)
- M. Walschaers, C. Fabre, V. Parigi, N. Treps, Statistical signatures of multimode single-photon added and subtracted states of light, Phys. Rev. A 96, 053835 (2017)
- M. Walschaers, C. Fabre, V. Parigi, N. Treps, Entanglement and Wigner function negativity of multimode non-Gaussian states, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 183601 (2017)
- V. Parigi, E. Perros, G. Binard, C. Bourdillon, A. Maître, R. Carminati, V. Krachmalnicoff, and Y. De Wilde, Near-field to far-field characterization of speckle patterns generated by disordered nanomaterials, Opt. Express, 24, 7019 (2016)
- V. Parigi, V. D’Ambrosio, C. Arnold, L. Marrucci, F. Sciarrino and J. Laurat, Storage and retrieval of vector beams of light in a multiple-degree-of-freedom quantum memory, Nature Communications 6, 7706 (2015).
- E. Bimbard, R. Boddeda, N. Vitrant, A. Grankin, V. Parigi, J. Stanojevic, A. Ourjoumtsev, and P. Grangier, Homodyne tomography of a single photon retrieved on demand from a cavity-enhanced cold atom memory, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 033601 (2014).
- J. Stanojevic, V. Parigi, E. Bimbard, A. Ourjoumtsev, and P. Grangier, Dispersive optical non-linearities in a Rydberg electromagnetically- induced- transparency medium, Phys. Rev. A 88, 053845 (2013).
- V. Parigi, E. Bimbard, J. Stanojevic, A. J. Hilliard, F. Nogrette, R. Tualle-Brouri, A. Ourjoumtsev, and P. Grangier, Observation and Measurement of Interaction-Induced Dispersive Optical Nonlinearities in an Ensemble of Cold Rydberg Atoms, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 233602 (2012).
- J. Stanojevic, V. Parigi, E. Bimbard, A. Ourjoumtsev, P. Pillet, and P. Grangier, Generating non-Gaussian states using collisions between Rydberg polaritons, Phys. Rev. A 86, 021403(R) (2012).
- J. Stanojevic, V. Parigi, E. Bimbard, R. Tualle-Brouri, A. Ourjoumtsev, and P. Grangier, Controlling the quantum state of a single photon emitted from a single polariton, Phys. Rev. A 84, 053830 (2011).
- A. Zavatta, V. Parigi, M.S. Kim, H. Jeong, and M. Bellini, Experimental Demonstration of the Bosonic Commutation Relation via Superpositions of Quantum Operations on Thermal Light Fields, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 140406, (2009).
- V. Parigi, A. Zavatta, and M. Bellini, Implementation of single-photon creation and annihilation operators: experimental issues in their application to thermal states of light, J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 42, 114005, (2009).
- A. Cere, V. Parigi, M. Abad, F. Wolfgramm, A. Predojevic and M. W. Mitchell, Narrowband tunable filter based on velocity-selective optical pumping in an atomic vapor, Opt. Lett. 34, 1012, (2009).
- M. S. Kim, H. Jeong, A. Zavatta, V. Parigi and M. Bellini, Scheme to prove the bosonic commutation relation using single-photon interference, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 260401 (2008).
- A. Zavatta, V. Parigi, M. S. Kim and M. Bellini, Subtracting photons from arbitrary light fields:experimental test of coherent state invariance by single photon annihilation, New Journal of Physics 10, 123006 (2008).
- A. Zavatta, V. Parigi, and M. Bellini, Toward quantum frequency combs: Boosting the generation of highly nonclassical light states by cavity-enhanced parametric downconversion at high repetition rates, Phys. Rev. A 78, 033809 (2008).
- T. Kiesel, W. Vogel, V. Parigi, A. Zavatta and M. Bellini, Experimental determination of a nonclassical Glauber-Sudarshan P function, Phys. Rev. A 78, 021804(R) (2008).
- V. Parigi, A. Zavatta, and M. Bellini, Manipulating thermal light states by the controlled addition and subtraction of single photons, Laser Physics Letters 5, 246-251 (2008).
- V. Parigi, A. Zavatta, M.S. Kim and M. Bellini, Probing Quantum Commutation Rules by Addition and Subtraction of Single Photons to/from a Light Field, Science 317, 1890 (2007).
- A. Zavatta, V. Parigi and M. Bellini, Experimental nonclassicality of single-photonadded- thermal light states, Phys. Rev. A 75, 052106 (2007).
- M. D’Angelo, A. Zavatta, V. Parigi and M. Bellini, Remotely prepared single-photon time-encoded ebits: homodyne tomography characterization,Journal of Modern Optics 53 (16-17), 2259-2270 (2006).
- A. Zavatta, M. D’Angelo, V. Parigi and M. Bellini, Two-mode homodyne tomography of time-encoded single-photon ebits, Laser Physics 16 (11), 1501- 1507 (2006).
- M. D’Angelo, A. Zavatta, V. Parigi and M. Bellini, Tomographic test of Bell inequality for a time-delocalized single photon, Phys. Rev. A 74, 052114 (2006).
- A. Zavatta, M. D’Angelo, V. Parigi and M. Bellini, Remote preparation of arbitrary time encoded single-photon ebits, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 020502 (2006).